Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Feelings in Paris


Living in Paris part of the year provides strong feelings.

Inside.  The strongest and most prevalent feeling is that I am comfortably inside a good place.  Wherever I go within Paris, the inside feeling persists.  And, I believe, it is the one feeling that makes all the rest enjoyable.

Movement.  Whenever I am in a public place, I am drawn to some other nice place nearby.  And the connectivity of the walking areas complements this draw and moves me along from place to place and soon I realize I have walked farther than I expected.

Neighborliness.  Paris is a city of neighborhoods.  People here have learned well how to live together in tight proximity.  Politeness, courtesy, respect for others and their privacy.  Even teenagers shake hands.  Noticing my grey hair, people often offer me a seat on the Metro.

Visual pleasure.  Here I realize I look with both my direct vision and my peripheral vision.  My direct vision is continually attracted to interesting scenes.  My peripheral vision continually reminds me what a nice place I am already in.

Entrance/Transition.  Moving from one space to another through an entry point.  This is very strong here.  Gateways and arches mark the entry points.  Often one gets a glimpse through an archway of a hidden courtyard and feels drawn to see what is there.  Entering an apartment moves you through at least two gateways as you make the transition from community space to semi-private space to the privacy of the apartment.

Family life.  All ages are here.  Older people walking with a cane.  Children after school.  In the park across the street, a tot lot for toddlers, another play area for older children, a fenced sport court for teenagers, and benches in sun and shade for adults.  A couple with their child taking the bus to the Mairie on a Saturday morning to get married.  Family life is strong here.

Good eating.  Parisians love food and the pleasure of dining.  It is almost sacred here.  The parking regulations are suspended from 12 to 2 for the sacred time of lunch.  Dinners start about 8, though many Parisians don’t arrive until 9 or 9:30.  They often start with a kir while exploring the menu (la carte) thoroughly.  Usually three courses at dinner.  Parisians clean up every morsel and then wipe the plate with a piece of baguette to get the last drop.  Finally, finish it off with “un café”, a French espresso.

Good socializing.  Parisians love to spend time with their friends at a café with coffee or wine (and, too often, a cigarette).  The coffee and wine are consumed leisurely, but the conversation is animated.

Joie de vivre.  Parisians have a wonderful love of life.  They take 6 or more weeks of vacation a year.  Money is way to a happier life, not an end in itself. 

American cities, large and small, can learn from this really good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment